5 June 2003

Sarah Kennedy -- even more from the novel
In Sarah's continued absence, here is some more from Nancy Bellis' new book...

"Sarah's tears fell from her eyes like porridge from a spoon. Her 12th birthday party was ruined by the death of her cat 'Chuglington' . Some say that this was the defining moment of her life, others can but praise one girls strength after enduring such pain.

Chuglington - in more happier timesChuglington, as usual had been nestling in his favourite tree when Sarah accidently threw a rock toward it's skull - she had, in fact, been aiming for a suspicious looking squirrel.

"The squirrel was giving Chuglington 'that look' and I knew what had to be done" she sobbed, "I aimed, as best I could, but my eyes clenched tightly with angst as I saw my missile hurtle blindly towards my pedigree siamese. It fell from the tree like a sack of potatoes. I'll never forget that squelch."

Sarah had to have over three months away from school due to her constant guilt/tears and spent many years burying the sadness that, to this very day, has resulted in her absolute adoration of all things feline.

Her pain was so extreme that, to this day, if she is questioned about Chuglington she will deny everything.

There are many lessons to be learnt from such extraordinary humility. Lessons that, perhaps, one day, we will all be able to benefit from. Once more, via the remarkable healing powers of Sarah Kennedy, we can all gain an inner strength otherwise unotainable."

Printed by kind permission of Nancy Bellis

No comments: