5 September 2010

STATEMENT

SK
"After 17 years of early starts, the temptation of destroying my alarm clock has proved too much to resist and as I have been spared for this long, it's time for a change. I shall miss my Dawn Patrollers – their wit, wisdom and warmth, more than I can put into words. After I've taken a long-earned rest, I'm looking forward to new opportunities, hopefully inside and outside broadcasting. I'm so pleased to have outlived Terry Wogan and I have advised Bob Shennan against hiring Aled Jones as my replacement."


Bob Shennan, controller of Radio 2 and 6 Music, said: "Sarah has entertained Radio 2 listeners for over 30 years with energy and enthusiasm, gaining an army of fans with her inimitable style of broadcasting. Everyone at the BBC would like to thank Sarah for her many years of sterling service, and wish her the very best of luck for the future. We shall miss her, but I have a funny feeling we have not heard the last of her."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really dissapointed you left the show Sarah, I have so enjoyed listening to your stories, laughed at your jokes and relished the joy you bring in your show.

You enjoy your rest, not havinng to get up at silly o'clock will be a real joy indeed.

Hissingsid

Snufflz said...

Dearest Sarah,

I will miss you so much. I've been a Dawn Patroller for eight years and I can't imagine waking up to anyone else.

Do take care and enjoy lying in!

SW's to you.

Regards and best wishes.

Elaine Leeke

Anonymous said...

Very sad to see you go. You made getting up much easier. I liked your style and humour. Please do not dissapear, try a later start on 3CR.
All the best. J

Anonymous said...

Sarah, we miss you. You're irreplaceable. Mornings are drearier without your wit and humour which always brightened the start of the day.
Enjoy your well deserved rest - but hopefully not retirement!

Anonymous said...

So glad your inane babble does not wake me up at six anymore. Why you lasted so long is beyond me, you are the most boring conceited bitch i have ever come across and i hope your cat snuffs it

Anonymous said...

So glad your inane babble does not wake me up at six anymore. Why you lasted so long is beyond me, you are the most boring conceited bitch i have ever come across and i hope your cat snuffs it

Alec Clarkson said...

I have tried to keep faith with Radio 2 after both Terry and Sarah were disappeared by the BBC powers that be.

Unfortunately Terry has been replaced by an aging kindergartener and Sarah by a self satisfied boor.

Fortunately this forced me to find Heart FM (Kent) who have James Heming and Gemma Shepherd presenting Heart Breakfast and sound as if they might be able (in years to come) to develop into individualist presenters with style.

I was annoyed when the beeb altered Sarah Kennedy's hours which meant I had to leave for work half an hour earlier in order to listen to her program on my drive to work and also made me wonder why a presenter who so represented the original BBC ideals of freedom of speech and unbiased opinion should be so treated.

It does not surprise me that persons who try to speak "English", rather than some local dialect, are thus being discriminated against with those they empathise with being "let go".

Anonymous said...

The awful Vanessa Feltz is taking over from the fantastic Sarah. It's Radio 4 for me until 6.30 every morning now.

lorraine said...

Wish Sarah could come back - no longer listen to radio two in the mornings as Vanessa is not in the same league as Sarah - Please Sarah start morning broadcasting with another station - regards Lorraine from Llanelli Wales